We seek to recruit qualified persons for the below position:
We are seeking an experienced Accountant to join our growing institution. The successful candidate will perform professional accounting and administrative work involved in the organization, operation and provision of financial information by analysing accounting data including preparation of reports. He or She will be actively involved in the University’s Accounting Systems and Processes.
Accountants- Job Requirements and Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management or a related field is required.
- Must be Qualified Accountant and hold a recognised accountancy qualification –CPA (K) or its equivalent
- Must have up to date membership of professional body.
- At least three years’ working experience as an Accountant.
- Knowledge of accounting software e.g. Quick Books, SAGE etc.
- Administering budgetary control.
- Have experience of the full range of financial operations.
- Experience of managing and developing a staff team.
- High aptitude in accountancy and a good understanding of computers and their functions in accounting are required.
- The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with the working team is required.
- High level of self-motivation and ability to work independently
- Able to work under pressure to ensure deadlines are met
- Proven ability to manage own workload and delegate effectively.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
(i) To collect, organize, and analyse financial data for the preparation of various reports and statistical data for both internal and external reporting and to assist in management’s decision-making.
(ii) To maintain accuracy of financial data through assigning the correct budget numbers and expense codes, reviewing or approving transactions, properly recording transactions via journal entries, preparing or reviewing budget adjustments, updating the position control system, and preparing monthly reconciliations.
(iii) To develop and maintain a thorough understanding of the University’s budgeting policies and procedures and may be responsible for providing training and financial services to a particular University unit or cost centre.
(iv) To ensure the most effective and efficient use of University resources by regularly engaging in process or system analysis and by assisting in the updating of system-wide policies and procedures.
(v) To stay current with computer technologies and to regularly seek to implement process improvements through available technologies.
(vi) To ensure the timeliness of the general ledger and subsidiary ledgers by monitoring the work of the accounting staff and students and by working with other University units on the timely submission of financial information.
(vii) To work with external auditors and prepares audit work papers for the fiscal year audit by researching and analysing the year-to-date accounting information.
(viii) To assist the Supervisor or Chief Financial Officer in developing a competent and efficient accounting staff by training the staff in policies and procedures and supervising their daily activities.
(ix) To remain competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and / or courses as required by the Supervisor or Chief Finance Officer
(x) To contribute to the overall success of the Finance Department by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned, maintaining high levels of accuracy, maintaining a professional demeanour and appropriate levels of confidentiality, and providing excellent customer service.
The applicants should provide full details of educational and professional qualification, work experience, present post and salary, applicant’s telephone number and e-mail address.
Copies of certificates and testimonials should also be enclosed giving the names and addresses of three (3) referees who are conversant with the applicant’s competence in area of specialization.
If you meet the above requirements and interested in joining a team of hardworking staff, please send your resume and application letter clearly marked “ACCOUNTANT REF: VA/UU/032/2018” to the address below by 2nd November, 2018 and via email to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly quoting the reference in the subject.
NB: ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
The Vice Chancellor,
P. O. Box 713-01100,
Note: Umma University is an equal opportunity employer. Women, marginalized groups and persons living with disability are encouraged to apply.